I won’t blame you if you are were trying to open a game that you love to play and instead you encounter a message that denies you the same. More specifically when you encounter the message 0xc0000142 error.
However, you are not the only one around to have faced this 0xc0000142 error. And it is not that one game that you play, but multiple others too wherein gamers have been denied access. Some other such games with the 0xc0000142 error include Far Cry 3, GTA V, Metro Last Light, Witcher 3 and so on.
Application Was Unable to Start Correctly (0xc0000142) error occurs mostly due to a missing DLL file(s) and usually it can be solved by downloading and copy-pasting them. Another way of fixing the 0xc0000142 error is by restarting the computer and then checking if it still exists. If the error occured after you updated your PC then try uninstalling the updates or restoring the PC to a previous state.
In case these methods do not work, then you should keep reading below to find out more methods.
1. Re-registering the DLL files with the help of Command
Sometimes, you may get this error because of the corrupted .dll files. So, replacing the current DLL files and re-registering them will help you get rid of the 0xc0000142 error.
- In the search box of Windows 10, type cmd and press enter.
- Right-click on the Command icon. Select “run as admin”.
- Copy and then paste for “%i in (%windir%system32*.dll) do regvr32.exe / s%i” and press enter
- After this, copy and paste “for %i in (%windir%system32*.ocx) do regsvr32.exe / s%i” for full execution.
- Close the prompt window and check if the 0xc0000142 error exists.
2. Uninstall the latest update to get rid of 0xc0000142 error
Many times the updates do not get installed properly. If you got the 0xc0000142 error after downloading the latest update then you must uninstall the update to solve this error. You may also try restoring your PC to the previous state so that the updates don’t apply.
Create a backup of your PC first so that you don’t risk losing any data in the process.
3. Selecting appropriate region
- Press Windows + R key, type intl.cpl, and press OK.
- Select “Administrative”.
- Select “change system locale”.
- Ensure that the region selected is appropriate or else select it from the dropdown menu.
- Click OK followed by closing the windows. Check if the 0xc0000142 error still exists.
4. Running the program as administration
If you open the program as an Administrator, chances are that you may not have to encounter the 0xc0000142 error. This is how you do it:
- Search for the game or any program you intend to open. Right-click on the program and choose Properties.
- Open “Compatibility” tab and click on the checkbox that says “Run this program as an administrator”.
- Click “Apply” followed by “OK”.
Reboot your PC and then run the program again to check if the 0xc0000142 error continues to exist.
5. Resetting LoadAppInit_DLLs’ value in Registry
The antivirus that you use in your PC is capable of changing the LoadAppInit_DLLs’ value. This change, in turn is what leads to 0xc0000142 error. To fix it, you will have to reset the LoadAppInit_DLLs’ value manually. This is how it’s done.
- Press Windows + R.
- Type “regedit” in the search box click OK. The Registry Editor will open up.
- Navigate to your left where it says HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows
- Click “LoadAppInit_DLLs” twice.
- Set the Value to “0” and click OK.
Reboot your PC to run the program a second time. You can see if the 0xc0000142 error continues to exist.
6. Downloading and replacing the DLL files
Downloading DLL files and then copy-pasting them on the directory of game installation might solve the 0xc0000142 error. The steps are as follows.
- The Game Error Fixer file has to be downloaded first.
- Next, the “Game Error Fixer” file needs to be extracted.
- Choose all extracted files. Right-click and then select “Copy”.
- Open game directory causing the 0xc0000142 error. Right-click and then select “Paste”.
Reboot your PC and the run the program. You will know if the 0xc0000142 error is still there or not.
DLL files also known as Dynamic Link Library files contain instructions on how a program calls on to other functions and utilities. It helps in code reuse, efficient memory usage, reduced disk space and other abilities.
7. Running the System File Checker
Many times, errors like 0xc0000142 are caused because of corrupted system files. System File Checker is capable of detecting and repairing the corrupt files in your Windows PC that cause the 0xc0000142 error. This is how you do it, quick steps:
- Press Windows + R.
- Write “cmd” in the search bar. Press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open Command Prompt.
- Type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
Wait for some time or as long as it takes the process to complete. Restart your PC and run the program again to find out whether or not the 0xc0000142 error is still there.
8. Using Process Monitor
The function of Process monitor is to show real-time processes, the RAM usage of your PC as well as the application of registry keys. It can also help you to get rid of the 0xc0000142 error if you follow the steps below.
- Download the tool first and follow it up by extracting the zip file you downloaded in an apt location.
- Click “Procmon” twice which will open up the Process Monitor tool.
- Minimize the tool and launch the program that is causing the 0xc0000142 error and minimize that as well.
- Open the tool again and press Ctrl + T to open the Process Tree on your PC.
- From the Process tab, choose the game and then select “Include Subtree”.
- See if any message reading “PATH NOT FOUND” or “NAME NOT FOUND” appears. Download any DLL file in case you find it missing and then copy-paste it on the game directory.
Reboot your system and follow it up by running the program again to see if the 0xc0000142 error is still bothering you or not.
9. Updating the NVIDIA driver
Even after following all the above methods if you still face the 0xc0000142 error, it is probably due to an obsolete graphics driver in your system. You can up update the NVIDIA driver in your PC by following the steps below.
- Open any web browser and search for “Nvidia drivers”.
- Click on the option that says Download Drivers NVIDIA.
- Under the downloads section of ‘NVIDIA Driver’ select any option that suits the specification of your driver.
- Click Search followed by Download. The driver will download on into your system. Close the browser.
- Search for the downloaded app on your hard drive and then click on it twice to initiate the process of installing the driver.
Restart your PC to run the program again and check whether the 0xc0000142 error is still there or not.
These methods will help you get rid of the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) error. Depending on the cause of the error, you can select the appropriate solution.
If you are not sure what is causing this problem then just follow the steps chronologically to get rid of ‘unable to start correctly 0xc0000142’ problem.